I adore the times spent with my fellow members of the Paige Turner Book Club...but I have a literary appetite that simply cannot be sated with just one book a month. This blog is a place for me to talk about more of my reading adventures. Reviews, summaries, highlights, warnings, praises and quotes. Because after all, it can be a jungle...er...savannah...out there.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Latter-Day Cipher

By Latayne Scott

This book caught my eye because it was a murder mytery involving a familiar idea, but with a new setting. The deaths in this story have a religious focus...but instead of centering on the Catholic church, this book used the backdrop of the Mormon community.

It was an enjoyable read, though I was let down by the ending. After keeping my attention so well, the book ended very suddenly and I didn't feel it wrapped up well. Anticlimatic might be the word I'm looking for. But until that point, I enjoyed the journey of the main character.

The autor writes as someone who was burned by her experiences with the Mormon community. But while I sometimes felt like she was venting, I think she was also careful to show that not everyone in the Mormon church is a an extreamist. And similar to the DaVinci Code, it's probably a good idea to remember that this book is a work of fiction, so all the craziness should be taken with a grain of salt.

As usual, some of my favorite characters were the ones cheering from the sidelines. Why do I like minor characters so much? *sigh* Well, no matter the reason, one of my favorite relationships in this book was between Selonnah (the main character) and Ann (a character she meets along the way). They had some wonderful conversations.

All in all, it made a welcome break from my organizational theory books. Have you read this title? What did you think of it?

1 comments:

Latayne C Scott said...

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. You're not the first person to say that the ending was not satisfying. I wrote it with the idea of a sequel -- is that something you'd be interested in?

Regardless, I appreciate your review!

Latayne C Scott
www.latayne.com
novelmatters.blogspot.com