I adore the times spent with my fellow members of the Paige Turner Book Club...but I have a literary appetite that simply cannot be sated with just one book a month. This blog is a place for me to talk about more of my reading adventures. Reviews, summaries, highlights, warnings, praises and quotes. Because after all, it can be a jungle...er...savannah...out there.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Well-Built City Trilogy

The Physiognomy, The Memoranda, and The Beyond by Jeffrey Ford

I picked “The Physiognomy” up off a display at the library. The cover intrigued me, and I saw that it won the World Fantasy Award in 1998. I figured it would be a good read.

At the end of the day: This series just wasn’t my cup of tea. I found it hard to follow in places. I thought large portions of it dragged. And some of the character transitions were a bit strange. Also, there were some nonsequitor plot points (particularly in the third book) that never resolved or went anywhere. That bothered me. I think all three books could have been edited a bit and combined into one story. But that’s just me.

Motivation: I wanted to read this book because it explored the idea of memory: how memories are stored, how they impact reality, how our mind works, etc. Also the main character, Cley, is a Physiognomist. (Didn’t see that one coming, did you? *wink*) Some friends and I had talked recently about the field of Physiognomy, and I was interested to see how Jeffrey Ford integrated this field into his story.

Of the three books, I think I enjoyed the second one the best. (Followed by the middle portion of the third book.) It’s in this part of the story that Ford really dives deeply into memory. Cley actually journey through the villain’s memory by way of an assisted mind meld. Very Star Trek. He’s looking for a solution to a pressing problem. And to find it he has to navigate and decipher the symbols and landscape in Drachton Below’s mind. Like Cley, I found myself getting attached to personalities and symbols within Below’s memory labyrinth…almost forgetting that they were not separate from Below himself. Then I remembered and found myself annoyed that Cley couldn’t do the same. Anytime an author can draw you in to be invested in the decisions made by his characters…it’s a good thing. (There are probably exceptions, but you know what I mean…I hope.) It was very unique.

I also liked the middle portion of the third book because it was when the main character had the surest idea of who he was and what he was doing. In the first book, he’s little more than a chess piece of Below. Then he starts breaking away, and forming his own thoughts, asking his own questions, and forming his own goals. That process takes from the middle of book 1 to the end of book 2. Cley really hits his personal stride in book 3. I enjoyed reading about him when he was full of purpose. (Course, then he gets a little fuzzy again. Or maybe I just didn’t fully understand the resolution of the series. In any case…the last part of book 3 let me down).

Physiognomy plays its most dominate role in the first book. Cley ends up mutilating one woman’s face in order to save her from her “evil” nature. It’s guilt over this act that wake him up as a character and start him on his journey. The rest of the series is really Cley’s quest to find forgiveness from that woman. As such, Physiognomy pops up now and again. Mostly to highlight that you can’t judge a person by their measurements. Much as you can’t judge a book by its cover.

The most intriguing character in the series is Misrix. A demon from the Beyond who is “adopted” by the evil Drachton Below, aides Cley on his journey, and later befriends a child from the city Wenau. There were some good moments in there about profiling, stereotypes, etc. My favorite character was a moody but trusty dog named Wood. Maybe because he made the most sense.

One reviewer observed that Ford writes about ideas instead of events. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t quite find my rhythm. It is a fascinating journey, especially in the 2nd and 3rd books. But it was one I felt I had to trudge through. Ford doesn’t fall back on stereotypes. He sticks with his own brand of crazy. I can respect that. But while parts of the series were nifty, there was something missing for me. Reading this series felt like watching an episode of Star Trek that featured Q.

In reviewing the third book, Publisher’s Weekly says, “Ford's graphic imagination is as powerful as ever, but the quest itself is vague and undefined, while the story ultimately fails to grip.” I think I agree.

Has anyone else read this series? Feel free to write and tell me what you thought!

0 comments: