I adore the times spent with my fellow members of the Paige Turner Book Club...but I have a literary appetite that simply cannot be sated with just one book a month. This blog is a place for me to talk about more of my reading adventures. Reviews, summaries, highlights, warnings, praises and quotes. Because after all, it can be a jungle...er...savannah...out there.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

60 books...one year.

Ok. So I've already met and exceeded this goal. If you really want to know the extent of the damage, I've read 66 books. 21,421 pages. 76% of them for the first time. (Yes, I have a spreadsheet. Yes, there is conditional formating. and Yes, it rocks!) Some of those books were good, some of them I want to add to my very-special-only-inspiring-and-thought-provoking-stuff-goes-here shelf, and others I could have done without.

But you would have no idea...because I realized that I haven't been very good about posting my reviews and thoughts about those books. Shame on me. I'll blame it on a busy July.

Here's my promise. I'll be catching up. A post or two a week. And to reward you for your patience....I also promise something special for you next Tuesday.

Are you excited? I am!

Some Teasers:
  • The Simarillion = Yoda's diary + lots of "therefore"s.
  • The Physiogamist. Part of a trilogy that should have been one book. Maybe the only trilogy that I would recommend people read just the middle book.
  • Jesus Did it Anyway. Paradoxical Commandments = great stuff.
  • Marley and Me. Read it. Listened to it. Watched the movie....and cried during each one.
  • The Island in the Center of the Word. That Heather Johnson knows what she's talking about! (I picked this up after she reviewed it on her blog.)
  • Pedagogy of the Oppressed. School reading. Bleck. But I find myself thinking about one or two lines...so maybe not a waste.
  • Thirteenth Tale. Reminded me of Jane Eyre.
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World....oh wait...I haven't started that one yet. (Bonus points if you get my very bad joke)

Stay tuned!

0 comments: