I adore the times spent with my fellow members of the Paige Turner Book Club...but I have a literary appetite that simply cannot be sated with just one book a month. This blog is a place for me to talk about more of my reading adventures. Reviews, summaries, highlights, warnings, praises and quotes. Because after all, it can be a jungle...er...savannah...out there.

Friday, April 24, 2009

House of Night Series

House of Night Series
I read Marked, Betrayed, and Untamed. I skipped Chosen, but was able to infer the major plot events at the beginning of Untamed, so wasn’t lost at all in continuing the series.

The House of Night is a series of young adult Fantasy/Horror novels co-authored by P.C. Cast and her daughter Kristin Cast. The series revolves around the development and adventures of Zoey Redbird, a 16-year-old gifted fledgling vampyre who attends the House of Night school. Students move to this unique boarding school after they are “marked.” They then have four years of training (think, Hogwarts for vampyres) and during this time they will either make the full transition into a Vampyre or their body rejects the change and they die. Zoey has strong and unique abilities, and this sets her apart from her fellow students.

Things I like about this series:
It’s co-authored by P.C. Cast and her daughter. I also like how P.C. Cast acknowledges her students in the beginning of the book (she’s a teacher).

I like how the main characters are flawed and growing. There’s an emphasis on individual talent, but also the necessity of leaning on other and working together. I think the messages of trust, friendship, and doing the right thing get more poignant as the series progresses, and they would make good discussion points in a group setting. I especially like the character Sylvia Redbird. She is Zoey’s Cherokee grandmother and is often the voice of wisdom in the series. I also have a soft spot for Sister Mary Angela, who makes an appearance in book 4.

I like how the books are “easy reads.” They are engaging and you can finish one in a day or two (or if you’re me, in a couple hours). Also, each book covers a relatively short period of time, so if you happen to skip an episode, you can pick up what happened without too much trouble.

Things I didn’t particularly like:
Exploring sexuality is certainly a recurring topic in young adult fiction, coming-of-age stories, and the vampire genre as a whole, but many of the main crises in the series focus on the sexual misadventures of the characters. Even when other conflicts enter the storyline, it seems like the sexual dilemmas are always present.

The series is getting progressively darker as it moves forward. It reminds of the Harry Potter series: book one starts out with an introduction to the wizarding world, by book 4 the intangible villain has returned to power, and book 7 culminates with an “ultimate showdown” situation. But unlike Harry Potter which has one main villain who grows in power and influence, the House of Night seems to be introducing new evil personalities and phenomenon. It’s hard to tell how the escalation will continue to grow. Since it appears to be an open-ended series, maybe P.C. and Kristin Cast haven’t quite figured it out yet. I hope they have an arc in mind, otherwise I fear this series might go the way of the “Wheel of Time” – lots of books but no real end in sight.

Somewhat related, each book ends with a semi-resolution. The crisis of the particular book is resolved, but there’s already the sense of the next battle brewing. I know it’s meant to keep you hooked and coming back for more…but these books are literary candy to me and I want more of a warm fuzzy at the end. It’s there, but co-existing the gathering tension.

Overall recommendation:
Good for pleasure reading, especially if you like vampire stories.

1 comments:

Mandy said...

I find it annoying when authors feel the need to focus so much on sexual exploration. I understand that the sexual content is sometimes necessary and/or beneficial to the development of the story, but I find it frustrating when it's gratuitous.

At some point I'll probably check these books out, but I think I'm a bit vampired-out at the moment.